Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Lion King: Broadway








In my last blog I talked about one of my favorite movies "The Lion King". What is awesome is that this movie was brought to life. From an animation it went on to become a Broadway Production. It opened on November 13, 1997 at New Amsterdam Theatre. This production included music by Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice. The director was Julie Taymor and the choreographer was Garth Fagon. The original Rafiki, one of my favorite characters in the Broadway production, was played by Tsidii Le Loka. the original Simba was played by Jason Raize. The Lion has won Tony awards, including an award for best musical, best scenic design, best lighting design and best choreography. It also won other awards, including the 1998 Theatre World Award. Not all the lyrics were done by Tim Rice. Some of my favorite songs, including "he lives in You" and "Shadowland" were not given lyrics by Tim Rice. It has toured in different states and can be seen in other countries.
I was able to see this production in Oklahoma, and it is really amazing. I loved Rafiki's voice, although I don't remember who played her. The costumes are unique and what is cool is that this production uses puppets. You get to hear original songs form the movie, and also some other songs. It's a production that tells the Lion King story in a fun and awesome way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoOiKg4pc-I&feature=fvw A clip of a performance from the show in Londond
*Note: Most info found off of http://www.ibdb.com/production.php?id=4761

No comments:

Post a Comment